Sunday, October 08, 2006

How many Petes does it take to change a light bulb?

Me and my partner in crime, Pete had been in contact through email in the months leading up to my trip to China. We arranged to meet each other in Beijing airport at 11.00am on Thursday 27th July. Pete was in his gap year after his A-levels. He had spent up until I believe February working at the Felix hotel in Cambridge, earning money to fund a stunning trip in which he would fly to Singapore and return by land. His route would take him through Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam,China, Mongolia, Russia and Finland (He ran out of money and had to fly from here.). I was lucky enough that Pete would be in the Beiijing area around the time that I would be flying out to begin my TEFL course on the 4th August. I decided to fly out a week before in order to meet up with Pete. I was amazed that it actually all worked. I got off the plan after a very pleasent flight and there was Pete, no problems. Credit to him (for being there, he had nothing to do with the flight, I guess).
It was strange seeing him, for although it had only been a few months it felt much longer. My last memory of him had been saying good bye outside the corn exchange following a goodbye drink. It was really good to see him again. He appeared tired and I felt I should be too having not slept for about 36 hours though I must have been too excited.

We spent the day just wondering around. Pete buying a present for his sister, me just trying to work out where I was (Beijing, I think.). The next day we decided to head for the Great wall but to avoid all the tour groups we went for a less commercial part of the wall called Huanghua (shown in the photo).

I was still getting used to China so must of been a bit of a drag for Pete. I was also suffering a bit from jet leg so was a bit up in the clouds. The view that greated us when we arrived at the wall was spectacular confirming my up in the clouds feeling. It's positioned next to a reservoir in a valley and on the day it was filled with what I think was smog if not mist (giving the photos a bit of a mystic look). We wondered up and down the wall via ladders and winding paths to the end of the world and back. A solid pose.


We stayed overnight for 50RMB (5 euros). In the evening we sat upon the roof where Pete attempted and failed to teach me some card games amit cats pouncing upon insects and our hosts eating their evening meal in the corner.

The next day we headed back to Beijing to the central station. I can't remember how but we decided to head for Dalian with the intention of continuing on to Qingdao before coming back to Beijing to go our separate ways. It was a last minute thing so hard sleepers were sold out. We decided you only live once and went for the luxury of soft sleeper. Following the intense negotiation to deposite my stupidly heavy backpack we set upon a little Bo Hai loop. On the train I was introduced by a couple of Chinese gentleman to rice wine and alcohol free lager, i didn't think much of either to be honest.

We woke up in Dalian 'the Hong Kong of the north'. We spent two nights here in the most extensive accommodation Pete had stayed in during his Journey so far. Though it was a big tower after all. We spent the days exploring the city from parks with giant footballs to beaches with freezing cold water.






On the second evening we went down 'fishy street' for some cheap sea food well Pete did I have to confess that I was too much of a wimp to make the most of it trying small amounts. However what made it memorable was the rain. This was proper rain with water and everything. Frantic cooks put emergency roofs up in an attempt to keep everything dry though many meals were lost. The roofs did keep us dry though had a habbit of filling up with water. I was convinced that one was going to collapse on our heads at any minute. I did do a good job of making sure Pete didn't stay completely dry. Despite the rain cooking contined with our chiefs taking the chance to cook for themselves.




Following our pleasent but rather wet stay in Dalin we caught the daily ferry to Yantai. From the ferry we witnessed a spectecular thunder storm with lighting coming within a few kilometres of us. Again I got rather wet. From Yantai we caught a rather cramped minibus to Qingdao. Not knowing where to stay we wondered the streets in the dark for over an hour in search of a hostel. Tempers beginning to show. All was well again the next day with a visit to the Tsingtao brewery. In the evening we sat on the pier watching the sea and the city next to it. Qingdao is well worth a visit (I think I'm getting nostalgic).





In search of a good beach we caugth a ferry across to I don't know where but Pete seemed to know where he was going. We were limited by time as we had to catch a sleeper bus back to Beijing. It took us over two hours to get to the beach giving just half an hour for Pete to have a dip and me to fill a childhood void of flying a kite. It was then a race back to the bus. After arriving back on the ferry we sought a taxi however we must of offended Qingdao's taxi driver's in a past life as they all refused to take us. In the end we found one who must of been a happy white rabbit with out a care in the world before and was willing to try and take us to the bus station via our hostel to get our bags. In the end we made it without a moment to spare. Perfect timing as always Pete.




Back in Beijing we had dumplings for breakfast before parting at the central train station. While I headed for the airport to meet my fellow future English teachers Pete remained in Beijing for a few days sorting out his Tran-Siberian railway ticket. He then headed through Mongolia, riding horses and shooting plastic bottles with his kalashnikov. Moving into Russia he hung out with another English guy and his friends in St Petersburg before running out of money and flying home from Finland with £44 to his name.

I will remember that week for the rest of my life. Sorry to get soppy but thanks a million Pete (I'm now Irish).













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home